#GlobalNews: “Man accused of Frances McDormand Oscar theft pleads not guilty, will be released – National” #Toronto #Montreal #Calgary #Ottawa #Canada

Advertisements:

LOS ANGELES – A lawyer for the man charged with stealing Frances McDormand’s Academy Award said Wednesday that he and his client plan to “forcefully and aggressively resist” the allegations against him.

Attorney Daniel Brookman acknowledged that suspect Terry Bryant can be seen on an Associated Press video holding McDormand’s best actress statuette but those images don’t rise to the seriousness of felony grand theft.

“There’s a big difference between holding an Oscar and what he’s charged with,” Brookman said outside court, where Bryant was arraigned Wednesday and pleaded not guilty. “I don’t think his character matches these charges.”

WATCH: Frances McDormand’s Oscar statue nearly stolen at after-party, man now in custody





Los Angeles Superior Court Deborah Brazil ruled Bryant, 47, did not pose a risk to the public and said he will be released on his own recognizance.

Bryant walked out of the Governors Ball Oscars after-party with the trophy on Sunday night, authorities said. He was captured on the AP video holding it proudly over his head and saying, “All right baby boys and baby girls.”

He quickly gave it up when confronted by a photographer, police said.

WATCH:Man seen celebrating after allegedly taking Frances McDormand’s Oscar





McDormand won the Oscar, her second, for her performance in “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.”

Bryant could get three years in jail if convicted.

AP footage from earlier Sunday shows Bryant walked in to the Governors Ball alongside McDormand, although there is no indication they knew each other. McDormand smiled and laughed as she entered the party and her son carried her Oscar into the party, the footage shows.

Naomi Levy, a rabbi who came to court to support Bryant, said he is part of her spiritual congregation and never misses a meeting.

“He’s a sweet and gentle man of faith,” Levy said.

Note: “Previously Published on: 8 March 2018 | 3:22 am, as ‘Man accused of Frances McDormand Oscar theft pleads not guilty, will be released – National’ on GLOBALNEWS CANADA. Here is a source link for the Article’s Image(s) and Content”.

Global News Canada

Copyright © 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc. Corus News. All rights reserved. Distributed by PressOcean Global Media (pressocean.com). Contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material... Articles and commentaries that identify PressOcean.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by PressOcean. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

0 Comments

No comments!

There are no comments yet, but you can be first to comment this article.

Leave reply

Leave a Reply, an Opinion or a Comment: