#GlobalNews: ““I feel gutted,” Ile Bizard flood victim robbed – Montreal”
Things just keep getting worse for Ile-Bizard flood victim Jason Hlohinec.
Hlohinec’s home was hit hard by last year’s spring floods and is now set to be demolished. But as if losing his home weren’t enough, he says he was also the victim of a robbery.
“I have no words to explain how I feel. I feel gutted,” he told Global News.
Hlohinec says the robbery happened last week.
“Immediately, when we opened the door, we realized something was wrong,” he said.
Thieves rummaged through the entire place, cut wires and pipes right out of the wall.
“They took all the copper, because copper is worth money on the street,” Hlohinec told Global News.
Because Hlohinec lives in an apartment with less space now, he had left some big items at the house.
“They took a $1,000 racing bike,” he said.
Hlohinec says insurance will cover the robbery, but because of the thieves, the basement is flooded again.
READ MORE: ‘Very little action’: Quebec flood victims in Cartierville desperate for answers
Pumps had been keeping the groundwater out, but when all the electrical wires were cut, there was no power to keep the pumps running.
“It’s a year later, we’re in the same situation and I’m flooded again,” Hlohinec told Global News.
The homeowner feels none of this would have happened if the government would have addressed his file in a timely manner.
He was been waiting for six weeks to hear from the province to find out what was next.
“It’s not just sitting on a property and paying the mortgage and going broke. It’s mental too. You wake up, you think about this house. You go to sleep, you think about this house.”
“I don’t know how much more we can be put through. This is a long process, it’s been 10 months now,” he said.
READ MORE: Quebec flood victims still waiting on government help
Hlohinec called the police to report the incident, and police confirmed to Global News an investigation is underway.
Hlohinec says he was not satisfied with their response.
“I felt like the police didn’t care, truthfully” he said. “They felt the house was going to be demolished and there was no care.”
The mayor of Ile Bizard plans to help.
“We’ll increase the security, try to have some people coming around to check the street,” mayor Normand Marinacci said.
Marinacci said he plans to speak with the police about the case, and with the Quebec government.
“We’re going to talk to the minister’s office and try to accelerate the proceedings. That’s all we can do,” he said.
A spokesperson for Quebec’s public security minister said she would look into the case, but could not get access to the file on Sunday.
After Global News’ visit Hlohinec said the province called him with an offer.
He said they offered to give him $100,000 to either demolish or rebuild. He vowed to fight for more compensation.
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Note: “Previously Published on: 25 February 2018 | 11:09 pm, as ‘“I feel gutted,” Ile Bizard flood victim robbed – Montreal’ on GLOBALNEWS CANADA. Here is a source link for the Article’s Image(s) and Content”.